When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there.
Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean thousands of applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Delete your private files so completely that "even God can't read them" according to South Carolina Representative Trey Gowdy.
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge and no money trail
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- No adware, spyware, malware, browser toolbars, or "value-added software"
- Translated to 64 languages besides American English
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 2500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features
Going beyond standard deletion of files, BleachBit has several advanced cleaners:
- Clear the memory and swap on Linux
- Delete broken shortcuts on Linux
- Delete the Firefox URL history without deleting the whole file—with optional shredding
- Delete Linux localizations: delete languages you don't use. More powerful than localepurge and available on more Linux distributions.
- Clean APT for Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint
- Find widely-scattered junk such as Thumbs.db and .DS_Store files.
- Execute yum clean for CentOS, Fedora, and Red Hat to remove cached package data
- Delete Windows registry keys—often where MRU (most recently used) lists are stored
- Delete the OpenOffice.org recent documents list without deleting the whole Common.xcu file
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously files
- Vacuum Firefox, Google Chrome, Liferea, Thunderbird, and Yum databases: shrink files without removing data to save space and improve speed
- Surgically remove private information from .ini and JSON configuration files and SQLite3 databases without deleting the whole file
- Overwrite data in SQLite3 before deleting it to prevent recovery (optional)
These are the changes since version 4.0.0:
- Add cleaner for Zoom (suggested by cybercom02).
- Add cleaner for Pale Moon (thanks to arckat324).
- Add cleaner for Slack messenger (suggested by summonholmes).
- Fix: Preserve bookmarked favicons when cleaning Firefox (reported by Team-Sys, fixed by rados).
- Clean more: Firefox bookmarked sites (reported by KodrosX), moz_origins, favicons .
- Support shredding with deep scan (fixed by Max Khon).
- Support advanced searches in deep scan: nregex, wholeregex, and nwholeregex (fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: AttributeError error message when using the menu option "shred settings and quit" (reported by ediowar, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: remove "closest monitor" debugging message (reported by Gitoffthelawn, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: set output of chaff to be human readable instead of base64 encoded.
- Fix: do not delete LibreOffice extensions (reported by sebas22).
Specific to Linux
- Add packages for latest Fedora (32 and 33) and Ubuntu (20.04 and 20.10).
- Clean Chromium when installed as snap (reported by Martii).
- Fix KeyError: 'win10_theme' when switching visual themes (reported by Ashutosh-Kukreti, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: warning SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal with Python version 3.8 (thanks to s-ankur).
- Fix: loop when maximizing window (reported by ediowar, fixed thanks to Max Kohn).
- Fix: dnf autoremove returned TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str' and left orphaned process (reported by terrycloth).
- Do not package the unneeded Winapp.py file (reported by terrycloth).
Specific to Windows
- Add cleaner for Chromium-based Microsoft Edge (thanks to Max Khon).
- Fix: wiping special files returned TypeError: ord() or access denied (reported by David-Gonzalez1109 and WilliamBeltranC, fixed thanks to Max Khon).
- Fix: UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte […] error when cleaning Google chrome (first reported by Robert51, fixed by Max Khoh).
- Fix: missing version number in executable metadata (reported by MusiqueGraeme, fixed by Max Khoh).
- Fix: do not install unwanted translation (first reported by MPet1, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: in the about dialog, the website button failed (reported by cliftonprince, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: all characters were shown as rectangles because of a font error (first reported by mayerthomas, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument error when wiping free space (first reported by gator101, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: the menu option "shred settings and quit" did not delete winapp2.ini (reported by ediowar, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: make deep scan case insensitive (fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix: delete gdbus-nonce-file temporary files (reported by Gitoffthelawn).
- Fix: error message AttributeError: 'gi.repository.Gtk' object has no attribute 'show_uri_on_window' on older Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 16.06 (reported by ediowar, fixed by Anatoli Babenia).
- Do not distribute unneeded fonts.
- Renew the code signing certificate (SHA256).