Advanced startup includes the options below and more:
- Start recovery (aka: Windows RE or WinRE), troubleshooting, and diagnostic tools.
- Boot from a disk (ex: USB or DVD) or device (UEFI only)
- Access the PC’s firmware (UEFI only)
- Restore Windows from a system image
- Choose which operating system to boot to on PC if multiple operating systems are installed
This tutorial will show how to create or download an Advanced Startup options shortcut that will restart Windows 10 and boot directly to advanced startup options.
- Option One: To Download Advanced Startup Options Shortcut
- Option Two: To Create Advanced Startup Options Shortcut
EXAMPLE: Advanced Startup Options
To Download Advanced Startup Options Shortcut
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.
3. Unblock the .zip file..
4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.
5. You can Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start, add to All apps, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.
To Create Advanced Startup Options Shortcut
1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.
2. Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
%windir%system32shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
3. Type Advanced Startup for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.
4. Right click or press and hold on the new shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.
5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)
6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
7. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
8. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
NOTE: You could use any icon that you would like instead though.
9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)
10. You can Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start, add to All apps, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.