MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters.
There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
Additionally MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion to wide range of players, so you may watch Blu-ray and DVD discs with your favorite player on your favorite OS or on your favorite device.
- Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
- Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
- Preserves chapters information
- Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
- Fast conversion – converts as fast as your drive can read data.
- No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
- Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
- All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
MakeMKV 1.15.2 Beta changelog:
Massive internal rewrite, some improvements and small bugfixes
Muxer updated to the latest matroska specification
Advanced usage changes:
- Sdftool included as standalone executable
- Drive speed control option
NOTE: MakeMKV 1.15.2 for Mac OS X – requires x64 Mac OS X 10.7 or later. MakeMKV is not signed by Apple, you might need to adjust gatekeeper options in order to install the program.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware