Introducing the new Microsoft Edge. Rebuilt from the ground up to bring you world-class compatibility and performance, the security and privacy you deserve, and new features designed to bring you the best of the web. Microsoft Edge is also available on iOS and Android, providing a true cross-platform experience. The new Microsoft Edge provides world class performance with more privacy, more productivity and more value while you browse.
The new Microsoft Edge is now compatible with your favorite extensions, so it’s easy to personalize your browsing experience.
Microsoft Edge 86.0.622.38 changelog:
Security updates are listed here
- Roll back to previous Microsoft Edge version. The rollback feature lets administrators revert to a known good version of Microsoft Edge if there's an issue in the latest version of Microsoft Edge. Note: Stable version 86.0.622.38 is the first version you can roll back to, which means that Stable version 87 is the first version ready to rollback from.
- Enforce enabling Sync by default across the enterprise. Administrators can enable synchronization for Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) accounts by default with the ForceSync policy.
- Automatic profile switching on Windows 7 and 8.1. The automatic profile switching currently available in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 is extended to downlevel Windows (Windows 7 and 8.1). For more information, see the automatic profile switching blog post.
- SameSite=Lax Cookies By Default. To improve web security and privacy, cookies will now default to SameSite=Lax handling by default. This means that cookies will only be sent in a first-party context and will be omitted for requests sent to third-parties. This change can cause compatibility impact on websites that require cookies for third-party resources to function correctly. To permit such cookies, web developers can mark cookies which should be set from and sent to third-party contexts by adding explicit SameSite=none and Secure attributes when the cookie is set. Enterprises that wish to exempt certain sites from this change can do so using the LegacySameSiteCookieBehaviorEnabledForDomainList policy, or can opt-out of the change across all sites using the LegacySameSiteCookieBehaviorEnabled policy.
- Remove the HTML5 Application Cache API. Beginning with Microsoft Edge version 86, the legacy Application Cache API that enables offline use of web pages is being removed from Microsoft Edge. Web Developers should review the WebDev documentation for information on replacing the Application Cache API with Service Workers. Important: You can request an AppCache OriginTrial Token that allows sites to continue to use the deprecated Application Cache API until Microsoft Edge version 90.
Privacy and Security:
- Replace MetricsReportingEnabled and SendSiteInformationToImproveServices policies for downlevel Windows and macOS. These policies are deprecated in Microsoft Edge version 86 and will become obsolete in Microsoft Edge version 89.
- These policies are replaced by Allow Telemetry on Windows 10, and the new DiagnosticData policy for all other platforms. This will let users manage the diagnostic data that gets sent to Microsoft for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and macOS.
- Secure DNS (DNS-over-HTTPS) support. Beginning with Microsoft Edge version 86, settings to control Secure DNS on un-managed devices is available. These settings aren't accessible to users on managed devices, but IT admins can enable or disable Secure DNS using the dnsoverhttpsmode group policy.
- Passwords found in an online leak. Microsoft Edge checks your passwords against a repository of known-breached credentials and alerts you if a match is found.
Internet Explorer mode: Let users use the Microsoft Edge User Interface (UI) to test sites in Internet Explorer mode. Beginning with Microsoft Edge version 86, administrators can enable a UI option for their users to load a tab in Internet Explorer mode for testing purposes or as a stopgap until sites are added to the site list XML. [full release notes]
Download: Microsoft Edge 86.0.622.38 (32-bit) | 83.2 MB (Freeware)
Download: Microsoft Edge 86.0.622.38 (64-bit) | 90.7 MB
View: Microsoft Edge Website | Release History
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware