Resource Hacker is a freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit & 64bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and decompiler and works on all (Win95 – Win10) Windows operating systems.
Resource Hacker has been designed to:
- View resources in executable files (*.exe, *.dll, *.cpl, *.ocx) and in Win32 resource files (*.res) in both their compiled and decompiled formats.
- Extract (save) resources to file in: *.res format; as a binary; or as decompiled resource scripts or images. Icons, bitmaps, cursors, menus, dialogs, string tables, message tables, accelerators, Borland forms and version info resources can be fully decompiled into their respective formats, whether as image files or *.rc text files.
- Modify (rename or replace) resources in executables. Image resources (icons, cursors and bitmaps) can be replaced with an image from a corresponding image file (*.ico, *.cur, *.bmp), a *.res file or even another *.exe file. Dialogs, menus, stringtables, accelerators and messagetable resource scripts (and also Borland forms) can be edited and recompiled using the internal resource script editor.Resources can also be replaced with resources from a *.res file as long as the replacement resource is of the same type and has the same name.
- Add new resources to executables.Enable a program to support multiple languages, or add a custom icon or bitmap (company logo etc) to a program's dialog.
- Delete resources. Most compilers add resources into applications which are never used by the application. Removing these unused resources can reduce an application's size.
Changes in version 5.1.8:
- Added: Zooming/scrolling views of image resources
- Update: Enabled scrolling for very tall dialogs
- Bugfix: Very large binary resources (>>100Mb) could crash the hex editor
- Bugfix: Occasional bug decompiling dialogs styles (WS_TABSTOP)
- Bugfix: RC file missing when extracting a binary resource type from commandline
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware