Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
What's new in Shotcut 20.09.13:
Added a Blur: Pad video filter and made it available in Slideshow generator as Pad Blur.
Added a Text: Rich video filter and made Text: HTML hidden since it is deprecated (still loads in old projects).
Added a workspace layout switcher to the main toolbar for the new stock workspace layouts.
Added a VUI to the 360: Transform video filter to adjust parameters by dragging.
Added Set Equirectangular Projection… to the Jobs menu for a successful export job. This is used to add metadata to a video file to indicate it is 360à¥° video in the equirectangular projection as required by most players and web services.
Added Zoom to fit icons to the Timeline and Keyframes toolbars.
- Fixed using a secure connection to get the upgrade URL.
- Fixed a rounding error for Color Grading video filter.
- Fixed a crash and incorrect preview scaling with more than one Rotate and Scale or Size and Position filter.
- Fixed colors when using an alpha/VP8 or alpha/VP9 export preset.
- Fixed video compositing with nothing on video track V1 or V1 hidden.
- Fixed export may fail when using extended (non-Latin-1) characters in path.
- Fixed EDL export.
- Fixed Export, Convert, or Reverse may fail if a temporary file it creates becomes locked on Windows.
- Fixed Properties > Color button not opening the color dialog with the current color.
- Fixed the Crop: Source video filter when using Settings > Proxy.
- Fixed a crash when dragging a MLT XML project file to a non-empty Timeline.
- Fixed the font dialog may too big or the preview inside the font dialog too big for Text: Simple filter.
- Fixed filters not being applied to the portion of a clip inside a transition after undo of Cut, Lift, Remove, Ripple Delete, or move.
- Fixed a crash changing speed of a clip with non-standard non-integer or variable frame rate.
- Fixed some dialogs not opening or staying in the foreground.
- Fixed some crashes in timeline overwrite mode.
- Fixed clicking the filters icon next to Output not opening the filters panel.
- Improved the performance of the Timeline especially with projects over one hour long.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 4.3.1.
- Changed Size and Position to Size, Position & Rotate and made Rotate and Scale hidden (only appears in old projects).
- Replaced Choppy, Crop: Circle, and Crop: Rectangle filters with new versions that do not use HTML through WebVfx, which was deprecated in version 20.06.28.
- Changed the Rutt-Etra-Izer, Swirl, and Text: 3D filters to be hidden since they are deprecated (still loads in old projects).
- Replaced View > Layout > Timeline Project, Playlist Project, and Clip-only Project with new, better Logging, Editing, FX, Color, Audio, and Player stock layouts.
- The current layout is saved automatically for each stock layout if selected, and Restore Default Layout is different for each stock layout.
- Changed the video track hidden icon on the System theme to be more clear and obvious.
- Show an error dialog on startup if the frei0r plugins are not installed (only affects Linux distribution packages).
- Changed the keyboard shortcut 0 to zoom timeline to fit.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut Alt+0 to zoom playlist to fit.
- Changed the Timeline and Keyframes time ruler interval to 1 second when zoomed in.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware