Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
What's new in Shotcut 20.10.31:
- Added Invert (reverse polarity) audio filter.
- Added showing the job progress in Windows taskbar button. (thanks @lolametro!)
- Added converting Text: HTML filters to Text: Rich.
- This does not retain full fidelity, but hopefully it retains the text.
- Added using the H.264 hardware encoder if HEVC not available when Proxy > Use Hardware Encoder is on.
- Added Scroll to Playhead on Zoom option to Timeline menu.
- Added ability to change position in Size, Position & Rotate by dragging anywhere inside the rectangle while also holding Shift.
- Added rectangle VUI help tips for various video filters.
- Added Size, Position & Rotate > Zoom now works in any Size mode!
- Added Scroll to Playhead on Zoom to Keyframes menu!
- Added keyboard shortcut for Center the Playhead: Ctrl+Shift+P.
- Added keyboard shortcut for Scroll to Playhead on Zoom: Ctrl+Alt+P.
- Added keyboard shortcut for rich text editor Paste Text Only: Ctr+Shift+V
- Added common preset resolutions and aspect ratios to the Add Custom Video Mode dialog.
Improved Text: Rich filter export on Windows and Linux when display scale is fractional (e.g. 150%).
Improved the performance of the Fade In Video, Fade Out Video, and Brightness filters on multicore systems.
Improved image quality when using Size, Position & Rotate.
Changed Export > Codec > Dual pass to not write a video file for the first pass.
- Fixed time rulers hiding on vertical scroll in Timeline and Keyframes (regression in v20.09).
- Fixed Crop: Rectangle > Corner radius not exactly the same as in version 20.07 (regression in v20.09).
- Fixed a compatibility issue for some systems by downgrading FFmpeg to version 4.2 (regression in v20.09).
- Improved the Timeline scrolling speed and smoothness (regression in v20.09).
- Fixed Blur: Pad incorrect after splitting clip.
- Fixed moving the cursor in filter fields may move playhead.
- Fixed Filters allowed pasting filters when nothing selected.
- Fixed saving projects to Dropbox on Windows leaves temporary files.
- Fixed saving the current stock layout when switching to a custom layout.
- Fixed progress dialog appears over the convert variable frame rate dialog when dragging to Timeline.
- Fixed dropping file with comma in its name to Timeline.
- Fixed delete keyframe button in Keyframes may remove keyframe for another parameter.
- Fixed convert dialog for variable frame rate never appears if dragged directly to non-empty playlist or timeline.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware