Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 21.05.18 fixes:
- Fixed a "requires newer version" dialog appears when opening a corrupt project.
- Fixed some systems unable to load video clips by downgrading FFmpeg to version 4.2.
- Fixed crash with File > Open MLT XML as Clip.
- Fixed "INVALID" appears in export after Copy Timeline to Source or with old project that includes MLT XML as Clip.
- Fixed many extra keyframes are created as video plays for any filter with on-video controls: Text: Simple, Text: Rich,
- Timer, Audio Visualization, Size Position & Rotate, Crop: Rectangle or Cirle, Spot Remover, etc.
- Fixed Settings > Use JACK Audio.
- Changed export jobs to use melt-7 on Linux.
- Added changing a Keyframes parameter's vertical zoom range when its value is changed.
- Fixed Time Remap > Image mode reverts to Nearest when reloading the filter.
- Fixed being unable to enter numeric values larger than 999 in some filters.
- Fixed Crop: Source > Center bias not working with media lower resolution than the video mode.
- Fixed presets with many keyframes not loading all keyframes.
- Fixed Properties > Image sequence does not turn off an image's proxy resulting in a broken sequence.
- Fixed the initial state of View > Full Screen on Windows.
- Fixed adding a custom Export preset does not reload correctly.
- Fixed the About Shotcut window title missing shows "%1" instead of "Shotcut".
Minor additions or changes
- Added shortcut Ctrl+T to focus the timecode field below the player.
- Added Romanian to Settings > Language.
- Added a restart dialog to Settings > Theme.