VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.1.12 changelog:
- UI: Fixes for Log-Viewer search-backward icon
- Devices: Fixes and improvements for the BusLogic SCSI controller emulation
- Serial Port: Regression fixes in FIFO data handling
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure integration: Experimental new type of network attachment, allowing local VM to act as if it was run in cloud
- API: improved resource management in the guest control functionality
- VBoxManage: fixed command option parsing for the "snapshot edit" sub-command
- VBoxManage: Fix crash of 'VBoxManage internalcommands repairhd' when processing invalid input (bug #19579)
- Guest Additions, 3D: New experimental GLX graphics output
- Guest Additions, 3D: Fixed releasing texture objects, which could cause guest crashes
- Guest Additions: Fixed writes to a file on a shared folder not being reflected on the host when the file is mmap'ed and the used Linux kernel is between version 4.10.0 and 4.11.x
- Guest Additions: Fixed the shared folder driver on 32bit Windows 8 and newer returning an error when flushing writes to a file which is mapped into memory under rare circumstances
- Guest Additions: Improve resize coverage for VMSVGA graphics controller
- Guest Additions: Fix issues detecting guest additions ISO at runtime
- Guest Additions: Fixed German translation encoding for Windows GA installer
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware