VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.1.16 changelog:
- VMM: Fixed random memory corruption and XMM register state corruption inside the VM when Hyper-V is used (bug #19695)
- VMM: Fixed VMSVGA 3D support with Linux guests when Hyper-V is used (bug #19884)
- GUI: Fixed some Qt related crashes on macOS Big Sur
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure integration: Fixed network integration not working behind some proxies
- USB: Mask out remote wake capability to avoid unresponsive devices
- Audio: Fixed issues with audio playback after host goes to sleep (bug #18594)
- Serial: Keep transferring data if the status line monitoring fails
- Serial: Fixed blocking a re-connect when TCP mode is used (bug #19878)
- HPET: Fixed inability of guests to use the last timer
- VBoxManage: Fixed detection of system locale when running 'VBoxManage unattended install' without –locale (bug #19856)
- macOS host: Installer on Big Sur is now reminding user that system has to be rebooted to load the installed KEXTs
- Linux host and guest: Support kernel version 5.9 (bug #19845)
- Linux guest: Workaround to improve resizing of 32-bit VMs with VMSVGA graphics controller, and do not try to use RandR version 1.3 due to bugs causing the X server to hang
- Linux guest: Fixed VBoxService crashing in the CPU hot-plug service under certain circumstances during a CPU hot-unplug event (bugs #19902 and #19903)
- Linux guest: Fixed Guest additions build for RHEL 8.3 beta (bug #19863)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware