VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.1.18 changelog:
- Nested VM: Fixed hangs when executing SMP nested-guests under certain conditions on Intel hosts (bug #19315, #19561)
- OCI integration: Cloud Instance parameters parsing is improved on import (bug #19156)
- Network: UDP checksum offloading in e1000 no longer produces zero checksums (bug #19930)
- Network: Fixed Host-Only Ethernet Adapter DHCP, guest os can not get IP on host resume (bug #19620)
- NAT: Fixed mss parameter handing (bug #15256)
- macOS host: Multiple optimizations for BigSur
- Audio: Fixed issues with audio playback after host goes to sleep (bug #18594)
- Documentation: Some content touch-up and table formatting fixes
- Linux host and guest: Support kernel version 5.10 (bug #20055)
- Solaris host: Fix regression breaking VGA text mode since version 6.1.0
- Guest Additions: Fixed a build failure affecting CentOS 8.2-2004 and later (bug #20091)
- Guest Additions: Fixed a build failure affecting Linux kernels 3.2.0 through 3.2.50 (bug #20006)
- Guest Additions: Fixed a VM segfault on copy with shared clipboard with X11 (bug #19226)
- Shared Folder: Fixed error with remounting on Linux guests